Project / product name: UROGRAM by TOBOR
Link to the project: http://
Team leader: Tobiá Vybíral
Challenge: no. 2: Measurement of urinary continence in hospitalized patients
Problem: Hospitals lack a cost-effective, efficient, and user-friendly way of measuring a patient’s urine output. Nurses have to visit the patient by the hour and rely on clunky urine bags with inaccurate references.
Solution: We have developed a low-cost, WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy compatible device, that can accurately measure a patient’s output multiple times an hour, display immediate volume on-demand, monitor the color of urine in case of bleeding, and export the saved data in a number of ways, including posting it into FHIR databases, saving data onto an SD card or any other serial device and directly to a mobile device via Bluetooth.
Impact: Our solution will help nurses get on top of every data point coming from a patient without having to physically visit their bedside every hour, as well as contribute to interoperability within hospitals and notably increase the effectiveness of everyday operations.
Feasibility & financials: We have built a semi-functional prototype with all necessary hardware present within 48 hours of the challenge being announced. All hardware was obtained just a couple of hours after we got to know the problem, which points to the general availability of all parts. We’ve also developed the necessary backbone of the device’s software in just 48 hours, with extra features expected to run smoothly within a few more days of development. Overall hardware costs amount to just around 700CZK per unit.
What you have built at the hackathon - text explanation + code (e.g. GitHub link): Arduino code - the backbone of the device’s software, that accurately measures the volume of urine present in the bag, stores the latest data entries, and prints them onto a screen. https://bit.ly/30FM7jA Functional prototype - all necessary hardware in a 3D printed casing that allows for simple urine container replacement and requires no changes to the current urine collection setup. FIGMA - Progressive web app prototype: https://bit.ly/3x6b7wo
What you had before the hackathon, please mention open source as well: Prior to the hackathon, we had no existing prototypes on our hands and we did not know anything about the challenge we were about to face. We didn’t have any hardware or software ready. We only had prior experience and motivation to push through with whatever we found interesting.
What comes next and what you wish to achieve: We would love to take a couple of weeks to finish the device’s software side as well as make improvements on the hardware side, including a custom PCB which we already started work on, a smarter, better casing, and the option to swap between running from a PSU and quick charging batteries for on the go measurements. These improvements would allow large-scale third-party production for an even lower price. We would also like to finish our proposed mobile app complete with FHIR implementation.